Critter’s suspected brain tumour hits home

Critter relaxes at homeFriday’s initial optimism on Critter’s suspected meningioma was well and truly shattered over the weekend. At around 10am yesterday, following three hours of fruitless searching, I donned makeshift waterproofs and set off to wade through Chorlton Brook (accessed through a gap in the BP garage fence) hoping not to find his corpse washed up on a bank.

Rapid decline, for us at least, has ruled out the possibility of his suffering unusually high blood pressure. Critter now seems to live in a complex maze of his own imagining. He knows where things are, but has little idea of how to get to them. His enclosed litter tray is now too challenging. Wandering around in circles, he can’t find the entrance. It has to be opened for him, but the last time he went in he couldn’t get out and was banging on the back in a panic. Spatial awareness gone, he no longer jumps anywhere and is frightened at the slightest height. Fortunately, we have no reason to think he’s in pain as he continues to eat when directed to his food, but fighting it all has cost him much sleep and left him totally exhausted.

Anyway. It was foolish to let him out at 4.45am on Sunday, despite his crying. By 7am, he was nowhere to be found. Every bush was searched repeatedly and given his incapacity he couldn’t have got far. Hence the mid-morning search of the brook, which turned out to be shallow (thankfully), meandering and filled with obstructions. He wouldn’t have got far. I emerged on the edge of Chorltonville, without recovering his corpse. But where was he?

Critter plays with his toys, Xmas 2003In the few years since we took him from the Society for Abandoned Animals Critter’s made great progress. Depressed and sluggish he’d been in the sanctuary for more than three months and when they rescued him he’d been close to death, but we saw his potential. Although the society had given him some dental treatment, it soon emerged he was suffering from gingivitis and was at risk of septicaemia. We had to have all but one of his teeth removed (not something pet insurance covers). But since then he’s thrived and quickly adapted to the pampered lazy pet lifestyle we planned for him… and still enjoys his toys. Working at home alone, as I often do, we’ve become very close. He’s a little soul mate.

Against her better judgement, Katharine called a clairvoyant, while I printed a hundred leaflets. The psychic said he was under a bush in someone else’s garden. A good guess, but it wasn’t right. The leaflets worked. We got a call from, by coincidence, Ed my gym trainer, who lives very near by. They’d been having a party which ended around 6am. At around 5am a lost and disorientated little black and white cat had appeared in their garden. When approached he took fright, but didn’t run and he was so obviously not right, they took him in and planned to take him to a vet today. For the eight hours we’d searched, Critter was sleeping on a soft cushion in a corner of their living room. It was the first proper sleep he’d had in a week. Today, as I write, he’s going through a series of blood and neurological tests.
Pet Insurance… thank goodness Critter’s covered……Critter’s hunting, fishing & doing drugs……Critter not eating his Fs

2 thoughts on “Critter’s suspected brain tumour hits home

  1. it’s very sad isn’t it, one of ours died last year we have 3 others, now my daufgter gas asked me if I will take another. I have said no, but have I done right.

  2. It’s all change again as his blood tests pointed away from a tumour, but that’s not necessarily good news. He’s been hospitalised while yet more testing is done. I’ve always been a one cat person. They are loners after all and it’s been good to give Critter his own place.

Leave a Reply